Thursday, October 18, 2012

I'm No Speed Quilter !!!

I am not a speed quilter! I know of folks, have friends that can whip together a quilt top overnight! I'm not talking the simple 4 inch block quilts either! They can whip together basket quilts, star quilts, fancy applique all in the blink of an eye!!! I scratch my head and wonder how the heck do they do it! I admire these folks that seem to have a happy new blog post sporting their latest accomplishments at least once, if not twice a week... I think to myself, if it had been me, it would have taken at least a month or two! Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed over it. I'm content to poke along, taking a day or two to make up my mind what color scheme I'm shooting for. I took forever to make my quilted bag. It sat in the corner for days on end, waiting for me to make up my mind.

The point of all this?  I've been working on a friend's baby quilt for far too long! Actually I had it all pieced together. It was plain 5 inch blocks and then I was going to use a quilting program on my machine to embroider each block. It was what she said she wanted,  but it was so simple looking, I just wasn't feeling it, ya know?. What's a gal to do??? Which would you prefer? Plain blocks?


 Or Twister blocks? Hmmmm? The twister blocks make me smile! They look so much happier! Or is it just me? Magically, the quilt came together in my head! It shall have borders, and applique flowers, and a bit of embroidery. I have matching canvas to make a bag and maybe enough scraps to make a changing pad. I'm so glad I didn't settle. I'll be much more pleased to gift the new design!

And then there's my blocks for the Grandmother's Choice BOW. I've been trying to keep up! Here are my two New Jersey:Suffrage blocks. Purple and gold....
 Blue and gold. Wasn't these blocks fun to piece! I really like them!
 And, I have my two Aunt Eliza's Star. Poor lady! Thank God for Women's right! To not be entitled to your inheritance and to be stripped of your child to the likes of a womanizing twit? GRRRRRR!
 I put my favorite gold print roses in this and my heart went out to Eliza's plight.
So there you have it! Slowly but surely, I've been making progress. I have to finish the baby quilt this week, as another friend is going to visit her next week, and I want to send the gifts with her. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I, too, am a slowpoke compared to so many other quilting bloggers. ;-) And when you add in the fact that I'm a hand quilter (exclusively), things really slooooooow down. But you know, I'm ok with that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I visit your blog, and your quilts are so awesome! Thanks for visiting me!

      Delete

Show some love and let me know what you think! I love comments!